After several months in the making, my first summer mix has arrived. The idea behind this mix is to chronicle a sort of overlooked period in hip-hop, where R&B singers and rappers began collaborating more frequently. And yes, hip-hop was dumbing down, starting its descent towards crunk, but it wasn’t quite there yet.
With the exception of the first track, I used 1996 (the death of Biggie Smalls) and 2004 (the advent of crunk/snap) as my cutoff dates. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this summer mix purely as a badass summer mix, and as a look at hip-hop’s teenage years and at the “good girl/gangster” dynamic.
1. I’ll Be There/You’re All I Need To Get By by Method Man & Mary J. Blige
2. Check On It (feat. Bun B.) by Beyonce & Slim Thug
3. Always On Time by Ja Rule & Ashanti
4. Can I Get A… by Jay-Z, Jah & Amil
5. Break Ya Neck by Busta Rhymes
6. What’s Your Fantasy? by Ludacris & Shawna
7. Country Grammar by Nelly
8. Just Be Straight With Me by Destiny’s Child, with Sillk The Shocker & Master P
9. What’s It Gonna Be? by Janet Jackson & Busta Rhymes
10. Fantasy by Mariah Carey & Ol’ Dirty Bastard
11. Gangsta Lovin’ by Eve & Alicia Keys
12. Got Your Money by Ol’ Dirty Bastard & Kelis
13. Heartbreaker by Mariah Carey & Jay-Z
14. Big Pimpin (feat. UGK) by Jay-Z
15. ‘03 Bonnie and Clyde by Jay-Z & Beyonce
16. What’s Happenin’? by Busta Rhymes & Method Man
17. Soldier by Destiny’s Child, with T.I.
18. Rainy Dayz by Mary J. Blige & Ja Rule
19. Fiesta (Remix) by Jay-Z and R. Kelly
20. Hey Ma (feat. Juelz Santana) by Cam’ron
If there’s any issue I take with this mixtape, it’s that you should own all of these tracks already.